Whether you are planning a visit to Abu Dhabi or are already in the emirate, this section provides a host of useful information to help you make the most of your time here. From the mini Arabic phrase book and […]
Whether you are planning a visit to Abu Dhabi or are already in the emirate, this section provides a host of useful information to help you make the most of your time here.
From the mini Arabic phrase book and currency converter to helpful hints and tips about visa regulations and what to do in an emergency, as well as insights into religion, culture and lifestyle, everything you need to know can be found within these pages.
Population: Abu Dhabi is the largest and most populated of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates, with over 80% of its landmass. The emirate’s population, now over 1.6 million, is expected to reach 3 million by 2030. Across the UAE, Emirati citizens make up nearly 20% of the total population; the other 80% are expatriates from Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe and North America.
Local Time: The UAE is four hours ahead of UTC (Co-ordinated Universal Time – formerly known as GMT) and there is no daylight saving. Hence, when it is 12.00 midday in Abu Dhabi, it is 3am in New York, 8am in London, 10 am in Johannesburg, 1.30pm in New Delhi, and 6pm in Sydney (not allowing for any summer time saving in those countries).
Social & Business Hours: Generally speaking, government departments, embassies and consulates work from 8am to 4pm. Embassies and consulates may designate specific times of day for processing certain requests (such as passport applications) so always call before you visit. The Islamic holy day is Friday and most organisations operate a Friday / Saturday weekend. Shops and visitor attractions are open on both days, though usually towards the end of the day or in the early evening on Fridays.
During the holy month of Ramadan shops often change their hours by closing during the day, re-opening an hour or two after sunset, and staying open later at night. Food outlets and restaurants generally remain closed or offer takeaway services only during the day and then open up for Iftar – the meal which breaks the fast – after sunset.
Safety: Abu Dhabi’s virtually crime free environment and well organised emergency services will bring you peace of mind and a relaxing stay.Share this tour